Table of Contents

Hi, I was thinking that after a while of making posts, It might be hard to find some of them so I've decided to make a table of contents. Just click the link of the post you want to see and you will be redirected there...

As I make posts, I will put them on the table of contents...

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Farmers' Market Visit


On May 2, 2010, My brother and I went to the Point Loma Farmers' Market in Liberty Station. There were many different types of foods and products there including: jams,  fruits, spices, meal packages, popcorn, sweetener, hummus, salsa, and vegetables. There was a Mariachi band that danced until the Market closed. There was also a really cool Cockatoo that knew how to play catch and interact  with you in a five minute conversation.




                      My Brother and I at the Farmers' Market.

At the Farmers' Market, I interviewed someone who was selling marinated olives. Al started selling olives here rather than at local stores a year ago because it is healthy and natural. He does not Garden at home because he has no room. His advice for all of you people who want to do what he does is, "Do what you like to do". We then went and bought some olives which were delicious.



Me Interviewing Al at the Farmers' Market      



         
The location we visited was very cool. It had many stalls and many more visitors than I expected. What was interesting is that most of the venders had free samples. I thought it was interesting because that lowers their profit margin in what they sell. While everything we saw was in a reasonable price range, some were cheaper and more expensive than I expected. Jackies Jams were $5 per jar of jam. The jar's size was only about pint big, so it was a little expensive for it's size, but it turned out to be ten times better than any jam I would ever find at the store. The hummus we bought was $4 a canister, which was about the same price at the stores which is cheaper than I expected. We want to go to a Farmers' market whenever we can, but there are none in Spring Valley, thus we have to drive farther and spend more money on gas.                                                    Jackies Jams 
However, with so many Farmers' Markets around the world, It is fairly easy to live sustainably.

4 comments:

  1. Hey I really like the way you added a lot of pictures while interviewing and when you got there and even about the food that they sold. The thing that made me think was about how you live away and there is no farmers market that close so you have to drive farther. In my point of view I think people should start making more farmers market in different locations because it's healthy for people and important to eat right. I really like how there was a Mariachi band that danced until the Market closed :) I would have loved for there to be a Mariachi band to the farmers market I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenan,

    I Really liked it how you actually showed the prizes of the products, and didn't just say that there were some more expensive and some less.

    It made me think about how much attention you gave to this assignment and that you really paid attention to the market.

    But how do you think about the environment around this place? Would it seem like it would be put there?

    Jadon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you didn't do it in a script form like almost everyone else did. Instead you just told what you did in a more seamless fashion. One thing that kind of gave me of 'duh' moment. That was the comment you made about how free samples lower profit margins which is something I never realized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you decided to write it out rather then just answering the questions. What surprised me was how expensive the jam was, but when you said it was really good it made me think 'oh i guess its worth it then.'

    ReplyDelete

Click this to go back to the top